Thursday 29 April 2010

When the mind does the seeing

So the surgery was horrific. Not so much the surgery itself but the local anaesthetic which was injected into my scar tissue. The surgeon said that because the skin graft tissue is like a keloid scar (tough and hypersensitive) he'd had to use a lot of pressure. He also said that the amount of pain I was in would have justified me being referred to have the operation under a general anaesthetic which is what I've always had.

I checked out the wound after the surgery and it looks a bit unpleasant, but nothing too horrible.
i have to do this every time they do something to me now as soon as I'm allowed to so that I know what to expect.

After my accident, because I didn't actually see the wounds for three months- dressings were changed under general anaesthetic- I didn't know what it would look like. I was very very young at the time, so I assumed that my crushed limb was going to look normal after the bone reconstruction, metal work and skin grafting. I thought at worst I might have a bit of a pirate scar. So when they took the dressings off to let me see it was a bit of a shock to say the least...

Now I always like to check what's been done to me after surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment