Tuesday 14 September 2010

Saying Goodbye

There was a lot I meant to get around to this weekend but didn't manage to. This weekend was somewhat miserable. Well, late Saturday night onwards was completely miserable, right out of the blue.

It started off with Saturday night, my (slightly tipsy) boyfriend going off on a rant about the state of our relationship, which genuinely shocked me because I'd thought things had been going better. I told him I would talk to him in the morning, as you can't really have a sensible conversation about life, the universe and everything when one or both of you is intoxicated. And I thought it might just be the drink talking.

Sunday morning, transpires that it wasn't just the drink talking, but there are things he's not happy about. The short version of this ends in me being very upset all Sunday, trying to plan what I will do if we break up and worrying that I will have to give my guinea pig and rabbit away. Late Sunday afternoon we had a chat and it turns out that things aren't at the breaking up stage, but we need to work on stuff.

Sunday evening I go to give rabbit and piggy their afternoon feeds. They'd been fine that morning when I'd been confiding all of my problems in them. The rabbit hadn't cared at all being a flipperty gibbet, but the pig being old and wise had looked at me sagely while having his back scratched. However, while the rabbit was straight in to her food, little piggy didn't want to know about his, which was unheard of. Food is his life and all he cares about. His favourite noise is the sound of a rustly bag because it means dinner time.

Poor piggy was very tired though, and rapidly went down hill. He was very old and passed away this morning. He was pig headed and stubborn to the end, hanging on furiously for no particular reason, lying with his eyes open and refusing to sleep. I sat with him all afternoon yesterday holding him and stroking him to keep him warm, and before bed I explained to him that it was time to go to sleep and dream nice dreams. He seemed to listen to me and close his eyes a little. I always think they can understand much more than they're given credit for. We've a little funeral this afternoon to say goodbye.

So all in all, a horrible few days. I hope things get better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment